An interesting letter to a unique individual with shoulder pain by Dr. J. Lewis. A must-read.
Click the link below for a must-read letter that helps manage your or your patients’ shoulder pain. Some of the bullet points that were copied from the article.
- Lifestyle management and professionally guided exercise-based rehabilitation programs are the safer, faster, and less expensive treatment options for non-traumatic shoulder pain.
- The shorter-term motor control (movement facilitation) programs demonstrate faster improvement and better outcomes than the resistance exercise programs.
- People seeking care for musculoskeletal shoulder conditions need to understand that they should not anticipate the outcomes they are hoping for without addressing relevant lifestyle issues. Attention to this situation must be a focus of patient education.
- Injection therapy is hit or miss.
- Surgery followed by immobilization for a month or more followed by 3 to 6 months of rehabilitation has not been shown to outperform rehabilitation.
LINK to the letter/article: https://www.ima.org.il/MedicineIMAJ/viewarticle.aspx?year=2022&month=06&page=410